Creamy Nutmeg Broccoli Soup
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 large broccoli stalks, chopped (use both the stems and florets)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup rice milk
Bring broth to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add broccoli and reduce heat. Cover and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions and garlic and cook until tender, stirring from time to time.
Stir the scallions and garlic into the broth. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
Working in batches, puree until smooth in a blender or food processor. Return the puree to the pot.
Combine the nutmeg and cayenne in a small bowl and stir in the rice milk. Gradually stir this mixture into the puree.
Return the soup to medium heat and cook until heated through, stirring from time to time. Serve hot.